Friday, October 4, 2013

Return to Transfer Pricing and the Utilization of Illinibucks

Specifically, “Illinibucks” could be used for many things which attain large lines, such as those at bookstores at the beginning of each semester, or at dining halls at peak hour. Illinibucks could also be used for registering earlier for campus recreation and activities, or to book certain venues and spaces (for campus organizations for example), or even for concerts and guest speaker events. Anything that would require signing up earlier or accrues a long waiting list of people to join would quality in this case scenario. I would prioritize my list of activities or events that have large lines and number them from most to least important. That is where I would spend my Illinibucks; suppose I love food (well, I do, but who doesn’t) – then I would prioritize dining hall lines on the days my favorite lunch/dinner is served or on days I have exams and don’t have time to wait in line. I might also utilize them for sporting events or concerts that include my favorite artists. I guess I am saying I would spend these Illinibucks, or credits, on things, events, or instances that give me the most utility. To that end, I would not spend them willy nilly, but save up until I needed them and then spend it.


As with any sort of price transaction with buyers and sellers, this would eventually result in a “Illinibucks” market. If people could buy and sell Illinibucks, then that would definitely occur. Following that will be “innovations” and newfangled creations arising in this marketplace that will include options and derivatives and futures that may or may not be harmful to its investors. Okay, it might not go that far, but there will be a new market where people who really want these Illinibucks will want to buy them and people who have an infinite amount of patience and see no use for Illinibucks will sell them. Of course this is assuming people can buy and sell Illinibucks. So in this case, if the administered price was too low, too many people would be cutting ahead to the front of lines and there would really be no improvement in cutting waiting time since there are more people than expected. If the administered price was too high, not enough people would be using them often enough to justify having them and on the Illinibucks themselves on having any sort of impact on the student body at large.

3 comments:

  1. Suppose you only allowed transfer of Illinibucks between one student and another for sanctioned activity - in particular, imagine that bumping was allowed, so a student could sell their place in line or their seat in an over subscribed course. Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you specifically talked about how you would spend Illinibucks on events primarily and on dining food hall lines. Those are two things I know I would not spend my Illinibucks which makes the ideal of Illinibucks even stronger since different people prioritize differently so the Illinibucks wouldn't only be spent on one thing. It would be helpful to have them used for a majority of things so that the cost of the Illinibucks doesn't get too high and so that the value of the Illinibucks is not diluted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested to know what your thought process would be for when to save and when to spend the IlliniBucks. Depending on how many are given out, you might have to decide to spend a few immediately for a dining hall dinner, or save them for a concert that's months away or might not even be scheduled yet. Would the saving vs. spending decision be different if the prices varied?

    ReplyDelete